Become an Insider!
HBS cites a statistic that over 75% of HBS alumni will serve on a nonprofit board at some point during their careers. We would like to help our alumni find the right board opportunity and help educate them to become high-impact board members.
Some Guidance When Looking for a Board Opportunity
1. HBS Community Partners Network — Many Community Partners volunteers join the Board of Directors of the nonprofit organization they worked with on a Community Partners project. But we also have on-going requests from previous nonprofit clients to let HBS alumni know about Board opportunities and from HBS alumni who already serve on nonprofit boards to post new openings for their organizations.
To join our HBS/Stanford GSB Board Summit group on LinkedIn to network with other interested in nonprofit boards click here
2. LinkedIn Board Member Connect — Adding your Volunteer Experiences and Causes Field to your LinkedIn profile is your opportunity to share with your network the ways in which you volunteer, the organizations you support, the causes you care about, and whether you are interested in skilled volunteer opportunities and nonprofit board service. You can use the field both to showcase your passions and volunteerism and to lend your brand and network to the organizations you support. Link to: http://blog.linkedin.com/2013/09/04/more-than-just-a-resume-share-your-volunteer-aspirations-on-your-linkedin-profile/
3—The Board Match – Each year, the Volunteer Center hosts a Board Match featuring 150 nonprofits of diverse size and community sectors at a job fair-style event where individuals who are interested in joining a nonprofit board can meet organizations looking for board members. HBS Community Partners is a sponsor of this event to help recruit our alumni as potential candidates to these organizations’ board of directors. The Board Match takes place in the early part of the year (date tbd). For more information, visit the Volunteer Center website: http://thevolunteercenter.net/?The_Board_Match
Recruiting New Board Members
1. Bridgespan Job Board — The Bridgespan Group is a nonprofit advisor and resource for mission-driven organizations and philanthropists. Their offer a listing service for Nonprofit Jobs or Board opportunities through their website. http://www.bridgespan.org/Nonprofit_Jobs.aspx
2. LinkedIn Board Member Connect (http://nonprofit.linkedin.com/) helps nonprofit leaders find high quality board members. The Board Member Connect program includes free access to Talent Finder (a LinkedIn recruiting tool), exclusive educational webcasts, and membership in the Board Member Connect group on LinkedIn to learn from and share with other nonprofit professionals.
3. HBS Community Partners Board Listings – We will list Board opportunities for current and former Community Partners clients as well as opportunities to serve on nonprofit boards offered by HBSA/NC alumni on this page. To see our current listing, click here. To post a board opportunity on our website: contact Executive Director, Elaine MacDonald at email@example.com or just click here.
Becoming a High-Impact Board Member
1– Nonprofit Boards 101 on Bridgespan – Bridgespan is a great resource with many tools and resources to help you learn about nonprofit board service.
2– HBS/Stanford GSB Nonprofit Board Summit 2013 – On September 30, 2013, HBS Community Partners partnered with HBS Social Enterprise Initiative, Stanford GSB Center for Social Innovation and Alumni Consulting Team as well as the Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation to host a Nonprofit Board Summit for 300 people at LinkedIn to inspire, educate and empower HBS and Stanford GSB to become high-impact nonprofit board leaders. To see a video of this event as well as the presentations from the keynote speakers, Dutch Leonard (Co-Chair of HBS Social Enterprise Initiative) and Bill Meehan (Faculty of Stanford GSB), go to our event page.